One of my favorite wedding gifts was the date night box that my sister created for us with both suggestions for dates and blank cards for our own brainstormed dates. If you want to give something more creative and personal for a wedding gift then dishes or sheets, a date night box can be a great choice. It also can be the perfect anniversary gift for your significant other.
For the DIY Date Box I created, I decided on a box that would double as a chalkboard for the couple to write sweet love messages to each other on.
DIY Chalkboard Date Night Box
Chalkboard paint (black or another color of your choice)
Paper mache book or another paper mache box
1. Gather your supplies. I went with a box designed to look like a book, but square, oval, and heart shaped boxes are other options. Since this was a small project, I only purchased a 6-ounce container of chalkboard paint in black. If black is a little too dreary for you, it also comes in a variety of other colors. Cover the surface you are painting on to avoid paint transfer.
2. Apply the first coat of chalkboard paint across one cover with a foam brush.
3. If you use a book shaped box, you will now need to stand the box up on it’s side to paint the spine and other cover.
4. Let the first coat of paint dry for 1 hour, then apply a second coat of paint. Pay special attention to seams and creases.
5. Let the chalkboard paint dry for 24 hours in order to cure. Then condition the chalkboard surface by laying a piece of chalk on it’s side and covering the paint with an even layer of chalk. Be sure to do this part of the project in an area with easily cleaned floors, because chalk dust will fly.
7. Wipe the chalk off with a damp rag or paper towel. It will take several wipes over the entire surface to remove the chalk residue.
6. Use acrylic paint for accents using a synthetic brush.
7. Fill up the box with chalk, date ideas, gift cards, and small supplies needed for dates. Use this post to brainstorm date ideas for a date night bucket list.