This post includes affiliate links.
Care packages are one of my favorite ways to remind friends and family that I am thinking of them and to offer a spot of happiness and fun during tough times. My mom is the expert in putting care packages together, so I grew up watching her love people this way. There is something fun about going shopping and thinking about the perfect items for the person that you are looking to bless.
Since my sister-in-law is stationed overseas with the Navy, we end up sending care packages to her several times a year. In the last couple of weeks I was working on a care package for her and several other friends, so I thought I’d share them with you. If you are also looking for ideas of how to show your spouse you care, check out this post.
How to Put Together a Care Package
- Choose your packaging. A priority flat rate box is the best option if you know that you will be shipping heavy objects, since the flat rate applies no matter how much the box weighs (up to 70 pounds). Prices range from $7.15 for a small flat rate box to $18.85 for a large. Other benefits of priority flat rate include: free package pickup service at your home or office, USPS Tracking® when you ship online and at retail, delivery in 1 to 3 business days, and up to $50 of insurance.
- Choose your care package theme. Choosing a theme can make it easier to locate items for your care package, although you can also simply fill a box with items that you think the recipient would like. Ideas for themes include holidays, items all of one color, items around something they love (coffee, hot stuff, sweets, ice cream, Harry Potter, etc.), open when envelopes, or a feel better soon care package.
- Purchase items that fit your theme (and your box)! One of my favorite places to shop for care packages is the dollar store, because they have a wide variety of snack sizes, holiday decorations, and other fun items.
- Pack up your box and add a note.
And here’s three care package theme ideas:
Be a Kid Again Care Package
This care package is perfect for the person needs the opportunity to relax and let loose. It is especially great for a couple that could use the time to reconnect and be silly together. I sent this package to a friend who is working extremely long hours and could use a date night with her husband to leave work behind and enjoy the fact that they are newlyweds. A combination of “kid friendly” snacks, fun games and activities, and silly things such as glow sticks can provide the perfect evening to escape from it all.
Here’s what to include in a be a kid again care package:
- Glow stick bracelets
- Window markers
- Game or toy
- Adult coloring book with colored pencils
- Lemonade drink packets
- Brownie mix
- Their favorite candy
- Redbox code to watch an animated movie
Fall Care Package
The change of seasons or special holidays also offer the perfect opportunity for a themed care package. It is an especially great choice for people that live someplace where the weather is pretty consistent during the year. Individuals who are currently living outside the US, especially service members, also really appreciate a taste of a season or holiday that they don’t get to experience where they are currently living. This package went to my sister-in-law, who is currently stationed overseas with the Navy where the weather is hot year round and holidays like Thanksgiving and Halloween aren’t celebrated.
Here’s what to include in a fall care package:
- Fall decorations- hand towel, window clings, scented candle
- Fall activity- Carveable pumpkin and pumpkin decorations, muffin mix and papers, craft project kit
- Halloween candy
- Pumpkin or apple flavored treat
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte or Apple Cider
Stress Relief Care Package
Do you have someone in your life that is going through some crap? They may be grieving, having health issues, or struggling with depression. Friends and family members that are going through something need to know that you are thinking about them and are there to support them. For this one all I did was tie together some lotion and tea with ribbon and drop them off with some freshly baked muffins.
Here’s what to include a stress relief care package:
- Bath or skincare products- I included Burt’s Bee body lotion and hand lotion
- Yogi stress relief tea
- Stress relief aromatherapy candle
- Homemade treat
- Adult coloring book
What is something that you would love to receive in a care package?